Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Best Plum

Tonight I went to the store. Mainly to buy fruit and another gallon of milk. A week ago, or maybe ten days ago, I bought some grapes. They were sour. Sour grapes! I thought. Some of them were good, and then I was in FM and bought some more grapes, and they turned out to be very sweet... Very good.

Tonight, I thought about getting grapes before going to the store, but somehow forgot about them entirely when I got there. There was a big display for nectarines and for the same price, peaches. But I didn't want either nectarines or peaches. I grabbed four bananas. I had four bananas the other day, and they lasted a day or two.

I saw a tray of black plums, $2.98/lb. They looked firm. I like a solid black plum. Want almost the density of an apple, but then they need to be very black as well. If I were to have to pick, was told, well there can only be one fruit..., I think I would say black plums, but they have to be very firm, and very black... I picked 2 from the tray that I liked. Found a plastic bag to put them in. Hmmm, yes a waste.

Across the aisle there were Organic Black Plums. I only saw them after I'd stowed away the 2 chosen ones in the wasteful plastic bag. They also looked very good. Very firm. Very black. Though these were slightly larger, so I thought, Hmmm. I'm going to have to try one... And I picked one and added it to the group... bananas, plums, organic plum...

I used the self checkout and didn't bother to distinguish between the plums... I think the price for the organic plum was the same...

I had dry mouth all the while... It was a mild but warm summer day, and the heat only made me think of my thirst more... When I got to the store I'd seen a soda machine, and said, uh, no, and had thought about the water fountain, but again said, uh, no, thinking I could wait, and was looking forward to a beer when I got home.

But when I got home, after I found room in my freezer for food that I don't need, I unpacked the plastic bags and there were the plums. I thought, oh, this will quench my thirst..., and selected one of the three plums, and then on second thought, said, no, I should try the organic one... so I identified it (it has a special sticker attached...). I cleaned it. Then as is my wont, I went to twist the plum. Sometimes they will break along the pit... But this one, I could tell wouldn't break, so I thought, I'll just go ahead and bite into it... And oh! I don't think there has ever been a greater plum in all of god's (or the madman's) creation. There is no way I can explain the nirvana of that moment of perfect sweetness, delicious juices, utmost elation...

So, I guess I will have to leave it at that...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ambivalent_Maybe said...

Nice post. I have a terrible time with plums here in Philadelphia. Well, with fruit and veggies generally, I guess. But the plums seem to be especially fraudulent. Like you, I favor a firm and dark plum. But I've learned to avoid them here, after several purchases of them have resulted not in a juicy nirvana, but a dry, mealy, tasteless blech. I think they must be injected with something to make them firm and dark, when in reality their insides are hollowed out and grainy as a dry sponge.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home