Monday, May 08, 2006

47 Cuts

I'm not 100% sure of the count, but I'm sitting here watching Ronin and they're having this little scheme hatching scene that has lasted approx 5-6 minutes, and I was struck by the fact that over that period of time there were these constant little shifts in camera angles, so I decided to stop and replay and count... It was something like 47 different camera angles over the 5 minutes. A number were single instance, very brief, a few were repeated 2 or 3 times but only a handful.

For some reason this brought to mind the movie Passenger 57, where there was one scene that only last a minute or so but the camera kept switching back and forth between 2 angles. When Wesley Snipes was talking it was on him; when the other guy was talking it was on him... I remember when I saw it, I couldn't help but think how uninventive the director was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home