Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jeopardy of the Unknown Remembrance

Tonight on Tivo, a Jeopardy question arose about Pip and his circumstances at the opening of Great Expectations - and though I knew the question was Great Expectations, I realized I'd missed this altogether when I'd opened the book. Or at least, I had to go back and reread the opening paragraphs... Though I always remembered the convict, and their exchange, I'd never noticed that Pip was visiting his parents' graves, and well the graves of five unknown brothers.

Of course you know he's an orphan, and that's sort of what Dickens does so well, nevertheless, it's significant when judging the later Pip to remember these circumstances...

Lately I've been wondering, if there is a kingdom of Heaven, what place hate would take there. Could a man or woman who had ever known hate find a place for themselves there... There's also the question of the place fear would own there... Great Expectations is about the place fear might own. There is really no guilt to be laid upon this child. And yet his life is a treasure house of fears. It is a wonder that life can be so terrible, and yet a man may once in a while still be noble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home