Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Who am I? (or, Am I defined by my Video Store?)

I signed up for NetFlix. Been avoiding it for some time. I don’t suppose I would have such strong feelings if I didn’t absolutely love my locally owned and operated rental shop.

I’ve been going to Rain City Video for about 5 years now. The people there are always the perfect amount of geek and chic. Once they get to know you, they start recommending movie they think you would like. I adore just browsing around the store flirting with the cute clerks and waiting for something to grab me (a movie that is).

But NexFlix is sooo easy and convenient and almost instantly gratifying. I find myself rushing to watch movies just so I can get more. The “Queue” is the best. It’s so hard to remember what you wanted to see, now I have a big long list that I can shuffle around as my mood changes.

I feel like a traitor. Over the years I have put a lot of time and energy into avoiding the giant rental stores like HV and BB. Rain City used to be very convenient for me, now that I’ve moved it’s a hassle to get there, but I tend to be pretty loyal, a trait that dies hard. Am I a bad person?

Is this the beginning of a decent down the steep slope of mass consumerism? What is next? An SUV? Not sorting the garbage from the recycling? And what will become of the worm bin? Think Globally! Act Locally!
Maybe the last vestige of my Northern California Granola Girl packed up and moved south, leaving me alone to justify yet another step into the matrix.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ambivalent_Maybe said...

The *important* question is: Does NetFlix allow you to get The Longest Yard?

I looked into subscribing to NetFlix because it would probably make me watch more movies, but as I rely on Hilary's computer as my only DVD player, it didn't seem worthwhile.

I feel bad for Rain City and other video stores, but having a bunch of movies delivered to your home is way cool. If--or when--Scarecrow starts mailing out DVD copies from their collection, that will be even better.

As for the larger environmental/political implications of movies by mail, my own standards have been so degraded over the last four years that anything short of being a raving Bush Co. Republican is fine w/ me.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home