Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Hall of Absudity

A couple of years ago I got the opportunity to watch the UW Huskie basketball team from the seats owned by the guy that owns the Space Needle. My sister worked for him and apparently nobody wanted them... All I can remember about the game is that the seats were like 3 rows from courtside, and there was this guy behind me that just couldn't shut up, and all he did for the 2 hrs was gripe. Gripe. And gripe. And, uh, gripe. Of course all the players were crap, and the coach was crap, and I got a feeling this was the year that Lorenzo actually won the Pac-10..? Of course it was fairly early in the season, and perhaps before they improved.

That, I believe, was the last time I went to see the Huskies until tonite. Tonite they were in some 'new' tournament, playing Valpo, and when I checked yesterday they weren't going to be on TV, so I bought a ticket ($17.50 + $10.00 svc) and went by myself. Left the dog in the car.

The seats were medium good. I actually thought they were very good until the game started, when suddenly I realized the stairwell right in front of me was an invisible visibility obstruction, as people were arriving late (the game started at 6 pm), and so through most of the first half, people were climbing the stairs and obstructing my view. But when the ball was at my end of the court, they were okay... (I must say I was very happy with a number of plays underneath the basket.)

Okay, so the guy in the seat next to me couldn't shut up. At least he wasn't a griper. He was sort of at the other end of the scale. The cheerleader was 'hot' (no, 'that' cheerleader is 'so hot') and he's got that all the wayyy down! (even though the shot was missed) and other crap like that...

I was elbow to elbow with people on both sides of me, so I watched the 2nd half from different seats; the arena was only half full. The 2nd half seat wasn't as good as the 1st half seat, even though I did strategically move myself away from the stairwell, and found seats with people who could shut up, though there was a lot of yelling; in the 2nd half that is... I don't remember yelling in the 1st half. I know I was silent in the 1st half. I spent the timeouts in both halves reading George R.R.Martin's Storm of Swords. (approx. .89 pages per timeout). But I also yelled in the 2nd half.

They lost. By one point, but mainly by missing free throws. That was their whole season in a nutshell. If they'd made free throws they probably would've been 21-11 and made the NCAA's. When the game was on the line, Jon Brockman, the team's king, with 4.3 seconds left on the clock and down by 1 point, missed 2 free throws. Life sucketh.

Maybe I should've stayed in the seat I purchased. Don't know what that guy next to me had to say about the missed free throws. I do find it wierd that the last two times I was in Hec Ed, there were these unstoppable talkers driving me crazy. I'm sure this is some sort of sign from god.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ambivalent_Maybe said...

I had never heard of Valpo before. I thought maybe the Huskies were playing a dog food.

Sounds like a good game, save the outcome. But a $10 service fee? Ouch.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home